Object Record
Images
Metadata
Catalog Number |
BR981.7.1 |
Object Name |
Stencil |
Description |
A metal stencil that reads, Turney. There is white and blue paint on the right side and traces of blue paint on the back. |
Year Range from |
1900 |
Year Range to |
1930 |
Dimensions |
W-7.5 L-21 cm |
History |
The stencil would have been used to mark the wooden boxes containing crops from local farms. The Douglass-Turney Farm was located in Streetsville on what is now Turney Drive. The Turney farm was once located in the area south of Britannia Road and east of Erin Mills Parkway. It was last owned by Omar Lee Turney (1890-1980). 'J. Turney' on this stencil may refer to his mother Jane Turney. Omar was the son of Holice and Jane Turney and lived in Streetsville from ca. 1918 until he died in 1980. In 1971 the road leading up to his farm and house was known as 'Turner Drive'. He sold the farm which was noted as the "farm on top of the hill" sometime during the late 1970s. Not much is known of what he grew on the farm. Mississauga was a major producer of fruit during much of the 20th century. Apples were a very successful crop for Mississauga farmers, especially in the Dixie area. A lasting testimony to this success can be found reflected in the many Mississauga street names connected to the apple such as Courtland Crescent, Orchard Road, Melton Drive, Duchess Drive, Greening Avenue, and Harvest Drive. References: Photo Report. The Mississauga Times, Wednesday, August 11, 1971 Classified Mississauga Times. June 14 1978 Ancestry.ca, Family Tree. Omar Lee Turney (1890-1980) |
